We all have been hearing; “The money is in the list”, yeah! The money is in the list. So many bloggers fail to build their mailing list with excuses such as, “I am not a marketer”, “I don’t want to sell to my readers”, etc.
Let me tell you those bloggers are the bloggers whose blog has no insurance. Take a look at Darren Rowse’s problogger and Daniel Socco’s dailyblogtips; you will discover they all have a mailing list. Your mailing list is your blog’s insurance, search engine traffic may come to an end, your website might even be hacked, you might be a history in terms of popularity in the next few years or near future, but your mailing list is yours forever.
Reasons to Build a Mailing List NOW
- It is your insurance: As we have in the offline world, so we have in the online world. You have insured your car, house and many other valuable properties but do you have insurance for your web property, you have assets online worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, but have you forgotten that the “altavista of yesterday is now history today”, think about it, you have to build a mailing list which will serve as an insurance for your online properties, it might be your blog or website, just build a mailing list.
- Keep in touch: Your mailing list helps you to keep in touch with your readers. Some readers will come to your blog and might never come again, having a mailing list helps you keep in touch with your readers even if they have forgotten your site, you can send them some of your best posts, tell them more about a web property or just keep them updated. Having a mailing list help you keep in touch with your readers.
- Top level priority: Having a mailing list make you a priority to your readers, some of your readers will not fully read your posts on your blog, some of them will not pay close attention but inside their inbox, they are in a relaxed state, ready to digest anything, ready to listen to anybody. You can tap into this top level priority to make your one time visitors loyal readers.
- Know their mind: You can use your mailing list to get in touch with your readers, unlike a blog post which only 50 people might read out of the hundred who came to your site a day, a very large percentage of your readers will be able to read your message in their inbox, they will also be able to give the right feedback because they read your mail with all their attention.
- Who knows: Yeah! Who knows, you might have a product later, a very big product. Wouldn’t it be a better option to send a mail to thousands of your mailing list subscribers telling them of your product lunch, you already have a foundation rather than just building from scratch. You have access to them, tell them about that product, how it will benefit them e.t.c. They might have visited your blog once and now forgotten you, having a mailing list will help you get to them easily. You will also be able to send them mails several times reminding them about your product which you can hardly do on a blog (except you want to lose a large percentage of your readers.).
Where are you going to start? Aweber is what the pros use; it has lots of tutorials and is easily customizable. In case you are not yet ready to part with some cash, mailchimp is another great alternative, it allows you to use it for free with less than 500 subscribers and 3000 sends a month.
Your opinions are welcomed in the comments section!